Today is the 6th anniversary of Mary's Independence Day. 6 years ago today was one of the worst days of my life. (I'm still not sure which day was the worst there are about three or four different days that were AWFUL!) 6 years ago today my marriage ended. My husband left me. It was also the last time that I've seen him. To me it feels like all that happened about 50 years ago. Or to someone else. It doesn't feel real and yet I can't deny that I remember how it felt. And sometimes that still gets to me. On Sunday we had the Stake Conference broadcast and when Elder Scott started talking about pornography addiction and how it can cause some marriages to end, I started crying. It STILL gets to me sometimes even though I wish it didn't. The thing is, I am over what happened and I've forgiven my ex-husband, but sometimes I still remember what happened and how it felt. A little sadness will probably remain my whole life but I'm hoping it will grow smaller and smaller as the years go on and I start a new marriage and a new family.
Well, back in the winter of 2007 marked the first anniversary of when my husband had left me. This time in my life was the absolute worst. (Like thoughts of suicide worst). But I had three amazing roommates at the time. I was back at BYU taking classes. These roommates were so loving and understanding. And even though I hate to remember the person I was at that time, they still loved me. They helped my healing and grieving process along. I mentioned to my roommates that I was really sad because the one year mark was approaching and it was making me think of how awful that day had been. My roommate and one of my most favorite friends ever, Chelsea, said, "don't think of it as the anniversary your husband left you. Think of it as Mary's Independence Day". That statement seriously helped me to change my thinking SO MUCH! Chelsea, reminded me to look at the bright side and the positive side of things.
I decided to throw a party to celebrate my independence day. I sent out Disney Princess invitations. I bought Disney Princess decorations including a little mermaid pinata and crowns for all the girls. (My diamond tiara was the cutest). All my girl friends came over and we watched America's Next Top Model, had a fabulous dance party with girl power music, and ate tons of chocolate all while wearing our princess crowns. Then when it came time to do the pinata, the girls told me to hit it first.... I had a baseball bat I think. I pretended that mermaid pinata was my ex-husband... and let's just say no one else got a turn at hitting it! It was one of the best parties I've ever been to let alone thrown.
Here's a very blurry picture from that night. Unfortunately these are the only ones I have... my face is all blurry but you get the idea.
Another blurry pic of me and Ava...and Johnny Depp...
Here's a fun old pic of Nicole and Chelsea (not from that night). Love them!
I'll always have fond memories of that party. So I can focus on remembering amazing friends and my own strength, instead of remembering that awful day that my husband left. This day every year reminds to me pause and reflect on how much further I've come since the last independence day. I think everyone should have their own independence day or some way to commemorate a day that they overcame something very difficult in their lives. I used to party every February 28th but it's become a normal day except for the time I take to remember and reflect. I'm glad it's become a normal day. :) Although I do try to take some time to do something really nice for myself. Today I got some delicious frozen yogurt. Yum! So in conclusion.....
HERE'S TO MARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) Go me!!!
I also listen to this song every year....



4 comments:
Mary, you are amazing! Happy Independence Day to you! I didn't know you six years ago, but the Mary I know today is incredible and one of the kindest strongest women I've ever met. and I mean that.
I love reading your blog too.
LET FREEDOM RING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love you Mary! You (and I) have both come a LONG way in the last six years, both of us with our own experiences and trials. I love knowing that you understand and you have really helped me see the love the Lord has for His children. You are freaking amazing and I admire you so much. Keep going strong!
~Ashley
This is an awesome post! I'm so glad that were surrounded by people who helped you see just how amazing you are. Love ya!!
Hey, I remember that night. Thanks for sending me one of those princess invites all those years back. You are amazon Mary! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and growth. It inspires me :)
Post a Comment