February 9, 2012

I Heart Trees!

I made a new friend at the "new member" Sunday School class they have in my ward for all the new people. Her name is Britt and she is also currently searching for a job. So in between interviewing, we go out and explore D.C. and play "tourist" although we do like to go off the beaten path as well. This week it seems like all of our adventures led us to the beautiful outdoors. We went to Mt. Vernon on Monday, Dumbarton Oaks Gardens on Tuesday, and Arlington Cemetery on Wednesday. We took today off because we both had interviews but we're actually going back to Mt. Vernon tomorrow because why not? We both have annual passes!!!


I just love the beauty of nature and I especially love trees. I like to name my favorite trees and if there are any that catch my eye in particular I like to think of them as my friends. I guess I'm a tree hugger? Here are some pics of trees that I saw this week that I LOVE! I can't wait until I get to see them in the spring, summer, and fall!




These were all trees from Dumbarton Oaks Gardens











Trees from Mt. Vernon


The backyard view from the mansion. Awesome view of the Potomac.


The Tulip Poplar is one of my favorite trees because it's Tennessee's state tree and also because we had one in my front yard growing up and it always started changing colors or blooming before any of the other trees. And George Washington planted this one. See? He loves trees too! Even if he did chop down a cherry tree. :) (Which he didn't...)




Trees from Arlington Cemetery




The guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier (The changing of the guards was really cool to watch).

Whew, that's a lot of pictures of trees. If you don't like trees you probably stopped looking by now. Also if you don't like trees, I don't really want to be your friend. Okay? Okay.

The main reason why I love trees and nature is because it's one of the main things that makes me feel happy and peaceful. It reminds me of my childhood in Tennessee and I come away feeling renewed and reinvigorated. The city is really fun but it's sometimes hard for me to feel like I can breath. Walking around these three places made me draw deep clear breaths and feel so light and happy inside. I loved Mt. Vernon's wide open spaces, the Potomac River, the trail and bridge through the woods, and the feeling of history. I loved Dumbarton Oaks Gardens because it was almost like Alice in Wonderland and every turn you took led you to another unexpected, delightful little corner where you felt like no one else would ever find you (in a good way). It was like an old English manor. Arlington Cemetery was very peaceful (I find cemetery's very soothing and peaceful) and I felt such deep respect and gratitude there. And if all of these places are so beautiful in the winter, I can only imagine what they'll look like in the spring and fall! I'll be going back to each place for each season.

Here's a peak of what these places look like in other seasons. (No I didn't take these pics...)

Dumbarton Oaks


Mt. Vernon


Arlington Cemetery

1 comment:

Lisa Ogles said...

Mary I totally feel the exact same way about trees.. and open spaces. I've been reading several books about tress lately trying to learn more about them. They are so awesome! I'd like to get to the point where I can name them off too.