April 26, 2012

A FIVE! Leaf Clover

Yesterday as I was walking home from work, I passed the "sweet spot" of where I usually find all my four leaf clovers (total of 6 so far). I saw an old asian man bending over looking at the grass. I knew he was either looking for his dropped hearing aid or he was searching for four leaf clovers. So I stopped and took out my ear buds and said, "Excuse me, but are you looking for four leaf clovers?!" He smiled sheepishly and said "hah, four leaf clovers! No, I'm looking for five leaf clovers. Take a look at this." I gasped and started getting really excited. I practically shouted at him, "I found a five leaf clover when I was little but no one will ever believe me!!!" He pulled out a five leaf clover he had found. Then he tried to show me a picture on his iphone (he could barely work it, I had to get to the pictures for him) of his collection of four leaf clovers. He had cups full of water with about twenty or so four leaf clovers in the picture. I was so happy to have someone else who shared my love of stopping to look for four leaf clovers, and he was even older than me! (some people think it's a childish pursuit). He said, "I look foolish to people who pass by and see me looking at the ground, but I love finding them".

I'm really glad I stopped to talk to him. I think it's great that he takes time to search for lucky clovers. I too sometimes feel foolish bending over and stopping when I think I see a special clover. And when walking to the metro with the lucky clover I plucked in my hand. But it always makes me feel so happy. Like I found something really special. It's like I'm making my own luck for the day. I feel like four leaf clovers are my own magical talismans that bring me happiness and good fortune (even though I know that's really all up to me).

I asked the old asian man if I could take a picture of his five leaf clover. Note that that is not my thumb! That's the old man holding it. :)
Sorry it's not a very clear picture. I, unlike the very old man, don't have an iphone. :)

1 comment:

AnnMarie said...

That's so awesome! It's always nice to find someone who shares your passions. I feel that way every time I meet someone who loves kdramas. ^_^