March 17, 2011
Newbie
So...I'm pretty new to the blog world. (I always have to start off everything I write with So... even in my journal-weird). Anyway, (then I have to say anyway after...) I'm new to actually writing in my blog and to reading other blogs. I've known for a while that everyone has blogs... like everyone! But I just never read any of them. Except to check for pics of my nephew on my sister-in-law's blog. Then I graduated and had every evening free and time during the day when the twins were napping. Suddenly I was desperate to find any distraction on the internet that I could and you can only browse facebook for so long. So, I did what anyone else in the situation would do. I read blogs. First I started out with looking at people that I actually know. Then when I needed more blog posts to fill my growing appetite I started moving on to friends of friends. Getting a little bored with most of those I discovered who the popular Mormon mommy bloggers were through my sis-in-law Meredith's blog. She had some of their buttons up. I was admitted into a whole new world. And I became entranced. Wow! These are the types of things I want to be doing! These women are living the life that I hope to have in the future. (They are married with children and are stay at home moms who do crafts all day and love interior design and baking.) I love all of that stuff too! I thought I was the only one! But as I kept reading their daily blog posts I began to get a bad taste in my mouth. I realized all of the major Mormon mom bloggers are slowly but surely getting big heads!!!!!!!!! Have you ever read any of the comments other people write in these blogs? "You're so cute! I want to be just like you. I want to copy every single thing you do! You are perfect and so is your family. I worship you." Hello!!!!!!!!!!!! If you go back and read all of the blogs from when they first started before they had tons of readers, they write about real stuff and in a wonderful entertaining meaningful way. But as they gained more followers and more people making these comments they started filling their blogs with pictures of perfect outfits, perfect outings, perfect situations. They started doing give-aways and guest blog posts and now when they do write something it's meaningless! Sorry, I've just been thinking about this for a while. I think it's great to have a blog and spread what you believe to others and to be uplifting and fun and entertaining. But keep yourself grounded and sincere. I hate fake people. And I'm starting to feel like all this pressure of thousands of people reading these blogs got to these women and changed the way they write. Obviously I don't really know these people and I can't judge them even though I really want to. I hope that I can stay true to myself no matter what. I'm still sucked into the blogging world for now. I can't stop reading!!!! But maybe I'll try to limit my intake a little to people I actually care about...
Also I should just mention that I'm talking about a few of the really big blogs with lots of followers, not anyone I know. I love all of your blogs that show your day to day life and insight.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
HA, I'm glad I don't fall into that category! :) I know what you mean though.. Real people that have real things happen to them, suddenly just have perfect lives! Crazy! No one's life is perfect! Anyway I hope you enjoy my blog, cause I LOVe yours :) Although, I do like looking at them for crafting ideas!
oh yeah and I'm still waiting for the restaurant review post and funny metro stories post!! :)
It's so true! And I always start my posts with "so" and I say "anyways" and "anywho" all the time! It's nuts. But I totally agree with you about the Mormon mommy blogs. they are full of themselves. I'm still kind of liking nie nie though. I think she's still pretty grounded.
May I suggest a few blogs for you to follow? There was a senior couple on my mission, and I stumbled across their daughters' blogs after I got home. I follow three of them, and I love them all - each of them are honest and thoughtful, not to mention the children of artists and artists of some sort themselves, so they have gorgeous pictures and delicious-looking food on their blogs all the time.
http://thedillspiel.blogspot.com
http://ann-jones.blogspot.com
http://www.my-angle.blogspot.com
Oh, and may I make a suggestion? Could you change the color on your post font to a lighter color? It'd make it easier on my old eyes. ^_~
Someday, Mary, your blog will have tons of followers. Just sayin'. :)
Post a Comment