December 14, 2011

Shining Brightly




(Apparently since it's my last week here in D.C. I'm writing a new blog post every day?)

I have always really loved the Children's Songbook from my church. I always loved singing time during Primary the most. As I got older I still remembered all the words to the songs and I still enjoyed singing them (usually not when anyone else was around. Also being a nanny has been a great excuse to sing all of the songs again whenever I want!) Now when I think about the words in the songs, I'm struck by how true they are. Even if they are extremely simple. That's what I love about the gospel. The truest truths are the most simple. I may not understand everything about the gospel but the most important truths are plain and simple for everyone to understand. I love the songs because they taught me important principles from a young age. Even before I knew that they were even teaching me anything, I was learning from these songs.
One song that has been coming to my mind a lot lately is something that I aspire to be.

The lyrics are:
"I am like a star shining brightly, smiling for the whole world to see. I can do and say, happy things each day, for I know Heavenly Father loves me."

The words are so simple but I kind of feel like this song encompasses a lot of what I've been striving for this year. And what I've been learning and trying to do.

I've been working on loving myself and being more confident. And when you know of God's love for you, it's easier to be happy and to give love and service to those you come in contact with, regardless of how they treat you. And I've also learned that it's important to not hide your happiness and beliefs even if it might make someone else uncomfortable. The first Presidency has been telling us we have to be bold and stand up for our beliefs. We can't be lukewarm. So I'm just going to keep trying to let my light shine brightly with a smile on my face. :)

No comments: