October 15, 2011

New Shoes and Shoes of Halloween Past

I bought some new shoes today. I put them on as I was taking the metro back home to see if they were really comfortable and to try them out. I needed new shoes that were four things. 1.)Comfortable- because I have to walk a lot in the city. 2.)Both dressy and casual. 3.)Shoes that would go with a lot of outfits. 4.)Shoes that I can wear in cold weather (aka not sandals). I felt pretty good about my choice. As I was riding the metro I looked down at my new shoes and realized they had black corduroy material on them. (Sounds heinous I know, but they're cute slip on tennis shoes). As I was thinking about how gross black corduroy sounds, I remembered some shoes I had in the 6th grade.

Every year before school started my mom would take us to pick out new shoes for the school year. The year I was about to start sixth grade I found these amazing shoes that I LOVED!!! And I wore them every. single. day. And guess what material was on them? GREEN VELVET. Green velvet tennis shoes. Yep. Awesome right? Like I said, I wore them every day and they were pretty famous. That year for Halloween I was the grim reaper. Not the most popular costume for 12 year old girls that year, but I've always picked things that I like because I liked them. Not because they are or are not popular. (I'm also not afraid to like things even if they're really popular even though I do like to be different sometimes). Anyway, back to that Halloween. I was out trick or treating with my family (I think that was my last year). And I was thinking, this is so cool. I don't have to be embarrassed to been seen with my family because no one will recognize me in this black hood. But I forgot one thing.

I was walking door to door when I saw one of my classmates. I walked right on by feeling confident that no one would recognize me and she said, "Mary? Is that you?" I stopped in my tracks and turned around. "How did you know it was me?" She pointed down to my shoes. "Oh I saw your shoes and knew it was you." "Oh...."

And that's the story of how my velvet green shoes and how they were awesome (and sometimes not awesome).


This is almost exactly what my costume looked like. Scythe and all. I couldn't find any pictures that looked like my awesome green velvet shoes.

No comments: