Every morning (well week day morning oh and every day at 5pm) I walk across the Key Bridge from Virginia into D.C. And right when I get to the start of the bridge I switch from whatever I'm listening to on my ipod to my "bridge song". Basically my bridge song is whatever song at the moment that I keep listening to on repeat. The song that speaks to me the most or that I'm relating to the most in my life right now.
Recently one of my loveliest friends gave me a mix CD of songs that remind her of me. Isn't that awesome?! I mean when was the last time someone actually made you a mix CD that they burned especially for you, huh? Anyway, I put the songs on my iPhone and listen to them to and from work or on my run. But my latest bridge song was on the mix CD she gave me. I had heard it before, but I guess I never really listened to the lyrics too closely. It totally fits with everything I'm going through right now.
I guess you want to know what the song is?... "Shake it Out" by Florence and the Machine. It's been around for a little while now (I mean they even have a Glee cover of it already, don't ask me how I know that..) but I never connected to it before.
Here are a few of the lyrics:
Shake it off, shake it out, shake it off, shake it out, ooh woaaah
Shake it off, shake it out, shake it off, shake it out, ooh woaaaah
And it's hard to dance with a devil on your back
So shake him off, oh woah
I am done with my graceless heart
So tonight I'm gonna cut it out and then restart
Cause I like to keep my issues drawn
It's always darkest before the dawn
I love the imagery of these lyrics and the line, "and it's hard to dance with the devil on your back". It perfectly describes the feeling of addiction or depression and sadness. Anything that might be weighing you down. So shake him off! I also like the line "I am done with my graceless heart". I've felt that way before where you just want to start anew and give up your old ways and have a change of heart. And "it's always darkest before the dawn" reminds me that you have to go through some dark and hard times before you have that breakthrough.
When I listen to this song as I walk across the bridge I feel powerful and strong and like I can do anything. I imagine shaking off all my problems. And when I listen to this on my runs, I feel like I can keep going and run faster. So for now this is my bridge song and I'm loving it!
Here's the video if you want to listen.
1 comment:
I love the Bridge Song! :)
Post a Comment