February 7, 2013

Little Things that have Meant the Most

Falling asleep on my guy friend's couch. My roomie fell asleep on his other couch. They kind of had a thing going for each other at the time and I sneaked a peak as he covered her up with a blanket. I felt a sadness knowing that no guy would care enough to do that for me. (So dumb, but I really felt sad about it). And a minute later, he came back and covered ME with a blanket too! I don't think he'll ever know how much it meant to me that he treated me with the same respect and kindness as he treated my roommate, even though he wasn't interested in dating me.

Casually mentioning to a friend that I was sad that I had to miss out on my favorite flavor at Dairy Godmother because I was busy that night; and the flavor doesn't come around often. She bought me a WHOLE PINT! And brought it to my house in a cooler. Seriously the nicest thing ever.

The time when me and my "summer time gang" who did every thing together that summer were going to go to karaoke. I found out that I had to visit teach at the time they were leaving. I did not want to be left behind and Alyss offered to miss out on the fun and stay behind to hang out with me. Seriously?! I never had a friend offer to do something like that for me and it meant sooo much to me. I had been left out and behind in the dust by several "friends" before, and just for her to offer that really touched me. 

Playing board games, card games, and Ticket to Ride and Killer Bunnies with my brother Daniel at least twice a week when we were both at BYU. I totally look up to my brother Daniel (what younger sister doesn't love their big brother?) He would always drive me places in Provo because I didn't have a car and he would buy me groceries when I couldn't afford them and tell me not to pay him back. One time in particular he randomly came over with some food for me and took me on a ride up the canyon on his scooter. We picked out which houses we wanted to live in as we drove past. That is one of my favorite memories and I'm sure he doesn't even remember, but it is something I cherish.

There was a period of time where I received notes, cards, flowers, cookies, baked goods all delivered on my doorstep. Most of the notes were anonymous, some were from friends telling me how much they cared about me and how much they looked up to me. These were my darkest years and at the time, I didn't understand why I kept getting all of these little treats. I thought it was awesome, it made me feel really good, but it wasn't until a couple of years later that I realized the Lord was prompting these people to help me. And it really is the little card or note or treat that makes your whole day. 

The night that my ex-husband said he wanted a divorce I didn't call my mother. I couldn't call her because I hadn't really been talking to her (my ex pretty much cut me off from all friends and family). But earlier that day I was talking to my old Young Women's leader Kelly. She called out of the blue and asked how I REALLY was doing and I confessed to her some of the things that were going on. She told me it was an abusive situation, which had never occurred to me before. So when that same night my husband told me it was over and he was leaving me, I called Kelly. She didn't even hesitate. She had three little children and her husband was at work but she packed up her kids and drove 2 hours to come pick me up. I spent the night with her but my husband wanted to meet up one last time the next day. I didn't bring anything with me, I was wearing my sweats and a t-shirt. She wanted me to look my best so she took me out to buy some new clothes. If I didn't have her on that night, I would have been in even worse shape than I already was. She was and is an angel on earth. I love her and respect her so much. 

2 comments:

christine said...

What a beautiful post. So much love!

And your YW president is a rock star. What a wonderful example of continuing her calling, Christ like and sacrifice.

Hugs!

Lisa Ogles said...

I love this Mary! Those are some amazing examples of love and friendship, people really love you Mary! Don't ever forget it.