August 3, 2012

Trust Love

Something I've been thinking about for a loooong time:
"You can only love others as much as you love yourself."
 I have been fighting against this belief ever since I heard it. I know that I love other people a lot. But myself, meh... not so much. But I felt that because everyone says it, there's got to be some truth to it. I've been trying to reconcile the fact that my belief is that I love others but not myself...so am I wrong? Do I really not love others?

But I think I finally figured it out at least a little bit. What I came up with was this: "You can only trust others to love you as much as you love yourself". The whole trusting that others love me thing has been my problem. I love other people, but I don't always trust that they love me too. Because I don't have as much love for myself. If I don't love me, then why would they?

And because I don't have as much self-love, I sometimes don't even accept the way others are trying to show me love. I reject it and say to myself, they don't really love me. If they did, then they would do x,y, or z. But in their minds (and in reality!) they do love me and they are trying to show me that. If I would just accept the love they are giving me in the way they are showing it and TRUST that they can and do love me, then everything would be just peachy.

Anyways...I'm working on loving myself more. And trusting that others love me. And learning how they show me love and accepting that love.

All you need is love. Buh buh dada da.


1 comment:

AnnMarie said...

Amen to this. I struggle with the same thing.