Here are some things that have helped me feel better:
1. My friend wrote this on my facebook wall. It's one of the nicest compliments I've ever gotten. For reals."Every time I talk to you I feel better about life. Every time. I think you just radiate hope and a love for life."
It hit me really hard when I read this just because when you are feeling depressed you can't feel any hope. And it reminded me that even though I've been feeling depressed this weekend, it's not a permanent thing like it used to be. And it reminded me that I do feel hope and other people can see that in me. It made me feel hopeful again, ironically enough! :)
and my other friend wrote this: "I love your laugh, I love that you are always there for me, I love your empathy and compassion, I love that you always validate me when I need it. I love that you are a good listener, I love that you were always up for my crazy adventures, I love that I'm lucky enough that not only do you call me your friend, but we really are going to be friends forever. It's awesome. Once again: Love ya!!!"
I know gifts are my love language but words of affirmation is almost tied for first. :) I love hearing this stuff about myself because otherwise I honestly don't think people care or even notice, or it's stuff that I don't think is even true. But I need to hear it.
2. My friend Ruth wrote me this poem:
ODE TO MARY
Mary the merry, she is full of warmth and joy
Oh Mary Cherry, she'll find a lucky boy
A real man he will be and he will see
her humor, pizazz, and loyalty
Her charms include her freckles and smile
And oh, how I adore her lovely style!
Her bravery and strength truly inspire
Her kindness lifts everyone higher
Her presence exudes peace and serenity
I am blessed by our friendship now and eternally!
Mary the merry, she is full of warmth and joy
Oh Mary Cherry, she'll find a lucky boy
A real man he will be and he will see
her humor, pizazz, and loyalty
Her charms include her freckles and smile
And oh, how I adore her lovely style!
Her bravery and strength truly inspire
Her kindness lifts everyone higher
Her presence exudes peace and serenity
I am blessed by our friendship now and eternally!
3. This picture:
4. Cake waffles (from funfetti cake mix) with ice cream on top and croquet from my roommates who gave me a "birthday do-over" yesterday after church.
Me and the ladies playing croquet. Just ignore the fact that this is a hideous photo of me and admire all my lovely friends instead. This is one side of our yard (we have a lot of grass to mow!)
5. I bought tickets with some friends and roommates to go see the musical "Beauty and the Beast" at the national theater. And we're also going to see a Legwarmers concert (an 80's band) and rock out to 80's music!
6. The grace I've received from the Lord helping me feel more positive and strong. Giving me hope and strength that I can make it through!
P.S. I'm starting the couch to 5K running program today. Yikes! Wish me luck! And thanks for all the birthday wishes and love everyone!!!! "I'm gonna make it after all!!!"



2 comments:
Mary, I'm so excited for you to do the couch25k! You can do it!!! I have looked at it and it really is such a good program for beginning runners. I used it after I had Jase and hadn't run in 10 months and it helped me sooo much!! I KNOW you can do it!! And when it gets tough, just keep telling yourself "I can do this. I can do ANYTHING for 1 minute!" Because it's true. You really can do anything for just 1 minute. And sometimes when I'm running and I feel like I can't go any longer, I do what Lena did in Delirium (I got the idea from her!) I tell myself "If I can make it 1 more minute (or 1/10 mile, or whatever my small goal is) then Jacob will get into PA school" you could say "then I will get married this year!" or whatever you want. It just has to be something you want really really badly. And it helps me to make it through the hardest parts. Sorry I know you didn't ask for advice or help with it, but I thought I would let you know what helps me when I feel like I can't go any further. Love ya!
Post a Comment