Well, that's a big duh. But something that I've experienced, particularly lately as I've tried to attend the temple once a week, is that Satan will do everything he can to keep you away from the temple. It seems like such a small thing like looking to the brass serpent to be healed. But maybe because it's such an easy thing (to attend the temple) we make easy and quick excuses not to go. "Oh I'm tired I'll probably just fall asleep in the session. Oh I had a hard day at work today. Oh I don't have a car and I don't want to take the metro during rush hour. I forgot to pack a dinner and I'm going to be hungry the whole time. My skirt zipper broke and my underwear is showing (okay that really happened and I still went!). Or, hmm maybe I'll just go next week. Or I think I'm coming down with a cold. I'd rather go home and watch America's Next Top Model. The excuses are pretty much endless.
Whenever I notice/realize that Satan is trying to keep me from doing something, I realize how important it must really be. And how much good will come from it because he's trying to keep it from happening. And it really is the little things that build up slowly until suddenly you're unsure how you got where you are. Putting off going to the temple until next week and then next month and then suddenly you haven't been for months!! It seems like a little thing at the time, but it's the little things we consistently do each day that make us who we are.
But once you get to the temple.... IT'S SO WORTH IT!!!! And then you just want to keep going again and again. You leave feeling empowered and full of strength. Feeling like you can take on the world and that anything is possible with God's help. I leave feeling so peaceful and full of hope for the future and grateful for the present. I'm so glad that I'm at a place in my life right now where I'm not terribly busy, I have no husband or children to take care of. I have no excuse NOT to go to the temple once a week.
I find that when I attend the temple, loving others is easier. Choosing not to be offended is easier. Having a smile on my face and joy in my heart comes easily. I feel much lighter (because I have the spirit with me). Life just doesn't seem as daunting or even mundane. Choosing to do the right thing seems more accessible and temptations are less attractive.
There are so many changes I want to make in my life and some healing that I still need to go through. And it's hard work trying to accept and apply the atonement in your life sometimes. Change is hard. But attending the temple will help accelerate that change. That's what I want so much. I'm on the fast track to change and growth because I've made the commitment to be PURPOSEFUL in my worship and temple attendance.
5 comments:
Amen sister. You're absolutely right with this one. :)
I should have thought about this before as well, but after a spell of not going to the temple in forever, we went last week.
Life changing.
Glad to see I'm not the only one who overlooks simple Sunday school answers sometimes in pursuit of trying to fix my own problems. I'm glad does things better anyway. ;)
glad God does things better anyway*
You just called me to repentance, Mary. I live not ten minutes away from the temple (by car; it's a half-hour walk), and yet I realized with a little shock that it's been at least a month and a half since the last time I've been through a session or done initiatories or sealings. I've been to volunteer, but haven't been to actually worship. No wonder things in life seem to be spiraling out of control. Thanks for the reminder!
So very true Mary. I love your strength and conviction! You live it too, that is one of the best parts of who you are!
Post a Comment